Posted to alt.home.repair
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default strange A/C experience

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
ink.net...

I would have thought you would install atleast a 14 seer or greater,
especially cooling 9 months out of the year. I think the 13 and under
units
are not being made anymore and you are getting the end run units. You did
not mention how big the house is or when it was built or the insulating
material and construction. A company should be able to do the
calculations
for your house and recommend the correct units. As you are in teh desert
would guess the humidity is not worth worring about as it is probably low.
In the area I live (North Carolina) the units need to be sized to run
alot
to take the humidity out of the air in the summer. It will feel much
cooler
with a lower humidity than it would with a high humidity.

I think 13 SEER are still being manufactured. As I understand it from 3
A/C contractor's, they are still selling off the 10 and 12 Seer units and 13
SEER are the lowest versions still being made. For me a 13 SEER is
probably the best I should go with as we cool for perhaps 4 months of the
year and even then, only during the day.
Cheers,
cc