Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default is lemon bad for porcelain

CJT wrote:
Norminn wrote:

dadiOH wrote:

wrote:

i frequently squeeze lemon down drains. and sometimes i might leave
the lemon hanging around the sink for awhile, is the acid bad for the
porcelain? it seems like the acid might be eroding the porcelain
around the drain hole and thus exposing metal to rust. it could be my
imagination though.

1. Not much acid in a lemon and what's there is very weak.

2. This is an iron sink with porcelain? The porcelain is glass fused
to the
iron. The only acid that eats glass AFAIK is hydrofluoric and there
is none
of that in a lemon. Or in vinegar or anything else you'll have
around the
house either.

Acid from tomatoes will leach lead from lead crystal and glazed
earthenware. Acid rain etches windows. I wouldn't leave any acid in
contact with glazed sink for long period of time.

Can you cite a reference for your acid rain assertion? People have
stored nitric and sulfuric acid in glass bottles for decades without,
to my knowledge, any problems.

Do a google search .. I haven't kept a bibliography ) It's the spots
that nothing will take off/out of window glass )