Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Default How do I bypass my well water filter?

wrote:
THANK YOU!!!!!!! I now have water pressure!!! When I bypassed the
filter I still didn't have much pressure so I put it back online and
then backwashed about 5 times and it seems to have corrected the
problem. You guys are the best!

Thank you,
Amy

Amy,

This is a GREAT clue. The well water is putting too much load on the
water softener. The resin is becoming fouled with the mud and dirt
dissolved in the well water.

Talk to the plumber/service people who installed the system and get
them to install a whole house water filter between the water softener
and the well tank. Change the filter at least twice a year, and the
system will work MUCH better.

The filter housing is under $30 and the filter is under $10. 10
micron filter media, carbon block is optional (taste and odor) You'll
also need a cutoff switch installed so that you can shutoff the water
pressure from the well tank so that you can then change the filter.
Total cost for this filter install should be under $100.