Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney

Default Fishing Wires In 100 Year Old House

On 2006-05-27, HerHusband wrote:

By the way, my in-laws currently have one or two electrical outlets
per room mounted in the 8" high baseboard. I'm planning on adding a
few more. Are there any codes that would prevent me from locating
additional outlets in the baseboard?

As another poster mentioned, this is compliant with the NEC, so the
only issue would be some additional local code. I did this in my
house with 1x10 baseboards. It gives you an extra 3/4" of depth, so
the really deep boxes will fit in a 2x3 interior wall. It is also
easier to cut the wood neatly than to cut the plaster neatly.

My method was to use a rotary cutter (rotozip) set to the proper depth
to cut out the baseboard. I made a template that I could just nail in
place and run the rotary cutter around the inside. After cutting out
the plaster, I mounted an old work box to the baseboard with
screws--if you want to use plaster ears, you need an old work box with
extra long screws on the plaster ears because of the baseboard
thickness. Then I had to use "midsize" faceplates to provide proper
coverage of the box and screws.

Cheers, Wayne