Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Default How do I bypass my well water filter?

wrote:
The filter/water softener is a Braswell. There is a big blue tank with
pvc pipe running to a skinny tan tank (which is the filter). On top of
this tank is a knob that says Pull Up for Off and Push Down for On. I
assume if I pull it up it will bypass the filter but I can't get it to
pull up. I have tried turning it and I still can't pull it up. I'm
not sure how to do it or if this will even bypass the filter. There
are some other valves but when turned they don't bypass the filter.

Thank you,
Amy

1. Tuen off the water supply to the house.

2. Open hot and cold water taps to drain all pressure

3. THEN try to move the plunger to OFF.

This is a water softener (not a water filter) that does not have a
pre-filter attached. IMHO, this is a NECESSITY for any water softener
product installed in a residential environment. I am on city water and
it is AMAZING to see how much mud and sludge will accumulate on a 10
micron filter in 6 months!!

All water softeners have a bypass valve, you have found it. But due to
the water pressure in the lines, you can't move it. Turn off the water
source (well pump, or city water main), open one or more faucets (both
hot and cold) to relieve the pressure and try to move the bypass valve
again.

Have a SERIOUS discussion with the plumber or the service company that
installed this when you call them next week to see how to avoid this
problem in the future.