Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus

Default Machining In The Living Room aka A Lathe In A Desk

On 27 May 2006 09:53:35 -0700, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

Any more suggestions?

I don't know if you've done any machining with that lathe yet, but I
hope you know how much of a mess it'd make in a living room. When I
got my midi (wood) lathe, I kept it in a breezeway that was about 4' x
6' and that worked pretty well for chip containment, but when I bought
my house and put it and my larger lathe in the shop, it was such a
mess on everything that I ended up needing a separate room dedicated
to turning, just so I could clean adequately without moving everything
around every time I looked at the lathe.

I know that's not encouraging, I just have a vision of the
coolant-covered swarf either stuck to the carpet or gouging up
hardwood floors. Not to mention sitting down on nice curly razors
stuck into the upholstry from time to time.

If you need to do it (and that's just how it is sometimes)- how about
making a good-sized armoire with doors that lock open at 90* with a
flip-up "ceiling" extension and one of those plastic mats they make
for rolling computer chairs on carpet to protect the floor from the
shavings? You could attach a bit of plastic to the edge of the flip
up part so it would hang down and make a cover behind you. With
coolant, they're a mess- without coolant, they're even worse!
Anywhere a chip can get out, it will get out- and that includes stuck
in the treads of your boots. If you're not sure what I'm describing,
let me know and I'll e-mail you a drawing off-list.

Alternately, if you've got enough room in the living room and can
modify the building yourself, the best solution may be to frame up a
closet in one corner, and put a door with some weather stripping on
it.

Does anyone do any woodworking in their living quarters? If so, I would
think the same requirements would apply.

I used to- but it's really not the same as metalworking. Worst case
senario, I usually would hang plastic from floor to ceiling to make a
temporary work area, and put a box fan in the window to blow dust
outside. The difference is that sawdust and wood shavings are fairly
soft, and not very likely to wreck the floors or furniture. Though I
haven't seen your place- for all I know, you have wooden walls and
concrete floors. If that's the case, just put a dropcloth over the
furniture and have at it.

Any suggestions for workbenchs that would live covetly in a living room
so the SO is happy?

As another poster suggested- a false top should work nicely for that
one. Make a nice demi-lune workbench, and your wife can call it a
sideboard.