Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Newbie help! Interlock vs. transfer switch

Whats to install POP? its an outlet, the extension cord is an extension
cord. What code do I have to pass? Its just a supplied outlet leading from
the back of my garage. When the power goes I simply cut my main then fire up
the genny, result is the same but the cost is nil. I'm not an ijut therefore
I KNOW to turn off my power.

That is wonderful that you know "to turn the power off"..... But what
if you have someone over and they don't know, or you sell the house and
the new owners don't understand.

The Codes in North America are written to ensure the safety of everyone
involved. It is fine that it works, but when it is not done properly,
people can get seriously injured or even KILLED!

If for some reason the power supplied by your generator is introduced
to your homes main electrical wiring and then manages to travel to your
panel, through the main breaker and back feed your power utilities
system..... people can get KILLED!

YES, I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU KNOW! But you have many people around you
that don't... and we are all human which means that sometimes we
forget....

It is not worth taking the chance of taking a life. If it is done
right the first time, everyone is better off!

Sorry if this has come off as a Rant, but electricity is dangerous and
if mis-handled it can injure and kill. Any and all work should be done
under the strict guidance of a qualified tradesperson. And all work
should be inspected by your local inspection authority. Their job is
to make sure that everything and therefore everyone is SAFE!

AS TO THE ORIGINAL POST:

I believe that you have found the best option for your situation. Any
system that ensures that the main breaker is turned off prior to the
generator breaker being turned on (so that anyone can operate it
correctly) is the way to go. After that, it comes down to load
management as the size of the generator can only handle so many things
at once.

In addition, I think the process you have followed in making the
decision is what should be done in all occasions. Educate yourself and
if you find it difficult to assess the information that you receive,
contact independant individuals who have no vested interest in giving
you advice in one direction or another and have them explain the
information that you have received.

Best of Luck on your project.

Glen