Andy Hall

Default Duct vs Gaffa vs Duck tape

On 4 Sep 2003 05:57:17 -0700, (Michael D)
wrote:

I'm repairing some rotting windows & want something to put over the
dodgy bits in case it rains while I'm re-doing them. I thought I'd
use Duct tape, but went to my local hardware store & they only had
Gaffa tape - is that the same thing? Are they both waterproof?

Also my local Homebase doesn't sell Duct tape but does sell something
called Duck tape (which looks very similar). Is it just a
manufacturers brand name?

Thanks,

Michael

Duck is a brand of various types of tape, and in common with Loctite
and others is owned by Henkel.

Duct tape is generally more widely used in the U.S. and is normally
metallised as well as being very sticky and able to seal.

Gaffer tape gets its name from the film industry, where the gaffer is
basically the electrician for the set. It is used for many things
but popularly for sticking cables down to floors to avoid people
tripping over them.

For a temporary application that you describe, I think that either
tape will be water proof for long enough.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl