Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Musing about movers and shakers: quieting them with harmony

No argument here about the superiority of static balancing for
woodturning now and in any future that I can foresee. I just wanted to
remind some of you and inform others that might not know it exists, that
harmonic balancing is a possibility and I think worthy of being
discussed by woodturner's 'pro tem' then archived for later reference.

Perhaps h.b. is a boring subject now, but you never know. Could you
ever have imagined a headstock that swivels and slides? Or a gouge that
won't get mad and lose its temper no matter how hard you grind on it?

WebTv makes posting a url tedious, so to get anyone interested up to
speed (poor choice of phrase) I'll ask someone to post the archived
thread in which Lyn and others, particularly Russ Fairfield, brought
this technique to our attention with good explanations. Not sure if
h.b. was ever published in "More Woodturning". Maybe we can get Russ and
Fred to post an informed review & update. Still hoping others will jump
in re harmonic balancing so we will have a state of the art in mid '06
for reference. Many TIAs.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter