Randy

Default Machinist tools- what should a begginer buy?

I want to thank all who've offered advice on what to get. The Kennedy
toolboxs have already been purchased, used, for cheap, one with the
little 2 drawer chest for the box to set on. Used tools, if well
taken care of are fine with me. My desire for knowing what "good
stuff" is lets me know to what level to compromise to. IE: As a
beginner, I may muck up a top notch $$$$ mic, but a less expensive
model/brand that has good quality would work, and not hurt so much $$
when stupidity stikes. Or was that Murphy? That is what I want, not
the cheap import, as I was given a chinese dial caliper some time ago,
and it wouldn't repeat a zero every time the jaws were closed. Heck,
it wouldn't even make a good doorstop. As one poster said, it was
probably one of those poor quality runs. Before investing into a new
"hobby", it pays to find out what others use & recommend, and WHY.
Example, when all my carpet installation tools were stolen a few years
ago, I went and replaced them all with new $$$ Crain stuff, except for
the straight edge. Let the dealer talk me into a cheap aluminum one
that a lot of other commercial installers were buying. Against my
better judgement, I bought it. After trying to cut a straight seam by
myself with it, I decided to go back and buy the $60.00 more
galvanised steel one like I used to have. I asked one of the other
installers about it, and they said they gave the aluminum ones to the
laborers, to save money when they needed to be replaced. Still have
that piece of junk on the wall, as a momento to quality. I liked the
advice of buy the sizes I need now, get started, and move up as
needed. And, the advice on deadblow hammers as well as a granite
surface plate is something I never thought of. Auto punches vs manual.
Well, I like both, and have both! :-)

Ebay is one of my favorite haunts, though, generally I prefer to buy
books, & hard to find specialty items.. I really like to handle the
tools in person before buying. So, please pardon my rambling, And a
Really Big Thanks for the Info!!!!!!! I've been putting together my
shopping list, and may still have some money left in the bank. For a
while, anyway!! Randy

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:48:59 GMT, (Randy)
wrote:

A loaded question for sure, but hey, I've got about 900.00 to spend
on tooling, to start.