Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Mike T.

Default Sturdy window fan

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I would like to purchase a window fan for one of two windows (24" x 24"
or 35" w x 21" h) but have been surprised by the poor quality of fans I
see in stores. Can anyone recommend a model with perhaps three speeds
and of build that will last more than a few years?

We will use the fan to help cool a small 1100 sq ft house off in the
summer after the sun has gone down (we are in southern California).

Steve

My brother had a larger house (1350SF) that he cooled with a combination of
10K BTU window A/C unit, centrally located, and a dehumidifier with a (I
think it was 5 gallon) collection tank. He paid a little over a hundred
bucks for the dehumidifier, and the A/C was used, so cost next to nothing.
It worked surprisingly well. The A/C wasn't strong enough to dehumidify the
whole house (humidity is what makes a house uncomfortable, not heat), but
the dehumidifier was. The A/C WAS strong enough to keep the house cool
(~74F, which feels cold at low humidity). Central air conditioning!
Install it yourself! Supposedly, his electric bill didn't go up too much,
either. -Dave