Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Sturdy window fan

wrote:
Hi,

I would like to purchase a window fan for one of two windows (24" x 24"
or 35" w x 21" h) but have been surprised by the poor quality of fans I
see in stores. Can anyone recommend a model with perhaps three speeds
and of build that will last more than a few years?

We will use the fan to help cool a small 1100 sq ft house off in the
summer after the sun has gone down (we are in southern California).

I agree that the general build quality of fans is far lower than it was
20 years ago. Very few high-quality window fans are produced any more.
Patton stopped making their excellent whole-house window fans long ago.
Lakewood discontinued their all-metal high-velocity window fan (model
HV18WR) a couple years back, but I recently heard that some Ace
Hardware locations might still have them in stock. You might want to
check into that.

Otherwise, the best window fan I know of that is still being produced
is the Air King 9166D. It's not cheap, though: $249.99 at Amazon.com.
See:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00073FHRQ/

I've seen them cheaper on eBay. Of course, with an item of this size,
shipping is an issue.

The Lasko 2155A window fan used to be good, but I don't know if they've
cheaped out on construction in more recent models. It's not metal, but
it is fairly heavily built (or was, the last time I saw one). Ace
Hardware has this. You might want to check it out.

All of the fans mentioned above can be mounted in a window so that it
will close behind the fan when not in use.

The only decent box fan being produced any more is the Lakewood P-25.
If you're interested in a box fan, see:

http://www.heatersnfans.com/item.asp?int_id=154

(Disclaimer: I haven't dealt with this company personally.)

You can also check eBay (or yard sales and thrift stores) for older
fans, many of which are still in serviceable condition.

-Josh