Posted to alt.home.repair
bill allemann

Default Aluminum vs. fiberglass extension ladders

For the same weight and expense, you can get both an extension and a step
ladder, both of which will
out-perform the compromise ladder.

Bill

"stratford1" wrote in message
ps.com...
Great posts...thanks everybody. Sounds like aluminum will be perfect
for what I need to do. Also...less expensive, so thats good.
Phisherman, thanks for the security tip. Hadn't thought about that. I'm
actually now thinking that it might be able to store in my basement
after all, so that would be a lot better and eliminate that risk.

Also, one more quick question...has anyone had good luck with any of
the folding type ladders? I bought a Gorilla version a couple years ago
to act as a step ladder and extension ladder, but really was
disappointed. I found it impossible to keep balance on those skinny
rungs as a step ladder, and really felt a little unsafe when it was up
as an extension. In addition, the actual metal construction was really
sloppy...just carrying it I cut myself several times on sharp edges on
the metal. Needless to say, I returned it. Just curious if anyone has
had luck with Little Giant or another manufacturer of this type of
ladder? I already have a good step ladder, but if I can find a good
folding type extension ladder, that might solve my storage problems.