Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

Default Aluminum vs. fiberglass extension ladders

"HeyBub" wrote in message
stratford1 wrote:
Hey folks... I need some advice in picking out an extension ladder. My
main concern...this thing will have to be stored outside, probably
hooked onto the fence in the backyard. So, it'll be exposed to the
elements year-round. Is it even worth considering an aluminum ladder
based on that? I want this to last as long as possible and my
assumption is that a fiberglass ladder will stand up to weather much
better. Just wondering if the extra cost is worth it. Thanks for your
help!

Aluminum weathers better. The military makes SHIPS and PLANES out of
aluminum!

If you're worried, paint it.

If it's outside, invest in a chain and padlock. Nice ladders wander off.

Don't store it outside if you can avoid it, aluminum or fiberglass. Sun is
hard on fiber, acid rain is hard on Alumium. I have a short 2-car garage,
and my 24-foot extension ladder fits easily high on a wall. If your walls
are full, consider ceiling hooks, including using the dead space over the
overhead door. Bring ladder in, close door, hook one end on above-door hook,
and hook other end using a stick or pulley. Hooks for overhead use need to
be deep-notch, of course, and should also probably be bungeed, if people or
cars will walk under them. Yeah, a pulley system and having to pull the cars
out and close door is a pain in the ass, but if you are only using ladder a
few times a year, no biggie. And inside storage should make it last the life
of the house. Painters and other ladder abusers who keep them on the truck,
or chained up at site, generally replace every few years when rivets start
popping, parts fall off, glass gets crazed, etc. For them, cost of doing
business. My 24' 1A rated glass ladder was $165 at Sam's club. I don't wanna
pay that again till I change states. If you have overhead power lines, I
wouldn't consider anything but fiberglass. And be honest about the load
rating. I'm big, bordering on fat, so for me plus tools and/or material, 1A
rating was the minimum that would pass.

aem sends...