Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default Finger brake vs. press brake

On Fri, 26 May 2006 19:22:09 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"Glenn" quickly quoth:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
I think I'll get the HF 20 ton press:
and their 20 ton air-over jack:
make up some dies and use it as a press brake. It would be used mostly in
place of a finger brake, which I can't afford. Seems like it would be
more flexible also.

Before I do, I'd like to get some input as to its limitations. The ones I
see are that the material can't be more than 22" wide and that the cycle
time might be slow. How slow would it be?

I assume that I could make partial bends (less than the angle of the die)
with a partial stroke. Is this feasible, or will I need a different die
for each angle?

Any estimates as the the maximum guage for a full width bend (22")? How
wide could 1/4" stock be bent?

Any experienced users care to share their thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob

I have fiddled with that idea some. First I got one of the magnetic vise
press brakes from HF for about $20. It is just a 8" V block and an8" wedge
made of various length pieces so you can get inside a box. I use it on an
arbor press most of the time as it will do a fair amount of bending as is.
The back of the press is the limiting factor for the arbor press. I have
done some bending with it on the 20 ton hydraulic press but it is a bit
wimpy for anything of size. (the dies not the press) I have made some dies
out of angle iron welded to form a V block and a V to bend some heavier
things but the top V needs to be less than 90* to get things to really form
right. For trying to do longer pieces you need to have some sort of
framework to hold the thing aligned and the die parts have to be strong
enough to keep the ends from bending up. I have used the 8" vise brake in
the arbor press to bend 20 or so inches of 10 Ga steel sheet. You start at
one end on a line and work across with just a partial bend. It takes about
3 or 4 trips through to get the full 90* but comes out ok. The magnets hold
it to the arbor press ok and seem to allow it to align naturally. I have
also used a 2" bar and saddle to bend rings or half loops with the arbor
press.
You have to move the dies over an inch to get the bend to 90 so you have a
slow go with the hydraulic press. It could be speeded up with the air over
jack and a quick release handle with a spring return like they have on the
newer engine lifts.

This would be a good thing for the wiki pages no??

Yes, complete with pics embedded in your description of how you do it,
step by step. Y'know, for the slow folks like Don. Nomex=ON

BTW, I waved as I went past Black Oak today, Glenn. Patsy and I did a
two-county trip via Grants Pass, Rogue River, Ashland, Medford, and
Talent. I found a freebie garage sale in RR this morning and brought
home 100+ lbs of rusty iron! (3" pipe threader, barrel stands,
Disston/Atkins handsaws, maul, nuts, bolts, screening, chimney
cleaning brush, pry bars, a REX riveter, misc iron bits and pieces, a
RainBird, some copper tubing, and a mini hacksaw. We filled Patsy's
Toyonka truckbed with stuff. g

And I picked up some 5/8" square steel tubing for some shelf hangers
at Schnitzer Steel yesterday. It's time to practice with the TIG, eh?
Life is good!

The Great American Pizza Company in Ashland is great, BTW.

---
The time is now, the place is here. Stay in the present.
You can do nothing to change the past, and the future
will never come exactly as you plan or hope for.
-- Dan Millman
www.diversify.com - Websites for Here and Now!