Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonnymus

Default Aluminum vs. fiberglass extension ladders

Phisherman wrote:
Second, a
visible ladder is a security concern, making second-story access easy.

This concern has been around for quite a while. . . and
justifiably so. Being aware of it, I took some steps over
the years to reduce the chance that my own ladder(s) would
be used to gain access to our home.

The solution is quite simple. In the case of when we lived
in Carolina, the 28' fiberglass ladder was stored on the
inside garage wall, on 20d nails. In our present situation
of a lot that has a 6' stucco over block fence, the ladder
is stored outside on the fence, along with my 9' stepladder.
To prevent, or at least reduce the probability of theft or
use to gain access, I installed a ring bolt, using an
anchor, into the wall and have a 3/8" chain that runs
through both ladders, padlocked. I contend that nothing
will stop a determined thief, but this will sure as heck
slow him down.

Nonnymus