Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Default West apartment window heat problem

James Lewis wrote:
I live in an apartment in N TX that has a west window that is 7'W X
6'T. It is actually a double window with four panes each. The heat
has come early this year and the direct sun on that window makes the
entire apartment hard to cool. I was going to have a dark tint
applied to the window but the apartment owners forbid that. Is there
a website that sells an effective heat barrier, like a pull down
window shade that would reduce the direct sun heat? If so, please
provide a website and ballpark cost if you know it. I'm not an
engineer but it seems logical to me that a tint would be the best
because it prevents some heat from ever getting into the apartment???

Actually, a reflective film is better than one merely tinted. Nevertheless,
Home Depot sells opaque shades in any size. You should be out for $15.00.

If you have access to whatever's outside, put some (large) potted plants
between the window and the sun.