Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

Default Aluminum vs. fiberglass extension ladders

On 26 May 2006 09:22:49 -0700, "stratford1"
wrote:

Hey folks... I need some advice in picking out an extension ladder. My
main concern...this thing will have to be stored outside, probably
hooked onto the fence in the backyard. So, it'll be exposed to the
elements year-round. Is it even worth considering an aluminum ladder
based on that? I want this to last as long as possible and my
assumption is that a fiberglass ladder will stand up to weather much
better. Just wondering if the extra cost is worth it. Thanks for your
help!

There are several reasons not to do this. One, either ladder type
will take a beating and eventually weaken the ladder. Believe me, you
don't want to stand on a ladder that has deteriorated. Second, a
visible ladder is a security concern, making second-story access easy.
Consider a ladder that can be folded up and stored at least under a
canopy, better yet, a locked shed or basement. Fiberglass ladders are
generally better quality, don't conduct electricity, but are heavier
than aluminum ladders. Before you buy your ladder, spend 10-15
minutes looking over the ladder to inspect for damage, missing rivets,
etc. I had to look at 4 of them before I found one that had no flaws.