Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill

Default Crazy electrical problem

If you installed the main service panel, did you torque the lugs for the
main feeds to manufacturer's specs? If using aluminum main wire, did you use
that aluminum wire goop?

Have electric company come out and re-torque your main lugs. If you did not
apply aluminum wire goop, have electric company do this, might want to have
a tube handy.

Note: On the panel printed spec sticker, it will give the torque specs...

Warning! Don't do this yourself!

"Bruce" wrote in message
I recently completely re-wired a small house. All new wire, outlets,
switches, breaker box & breakers and most of the light fixtures.
Everything worked fine when I was done about a month ago. Today, I noticed
that the furnace wasn't running. Also discoverd that neither the frig or
the washing machine would run (anything with a 110 V motor). The deep well
pump runs fine (220V) and for some reason, so will a small canister vacum
but when I start that, the kitchen light gets brighter (different circuit
too).
I started checking voltages at the main breaker box and found a hugh
difference in voltage between the two legs, like 155 / 85. It doesn't
seem to matter how many circuits are turned on . I turned off everything
except for a single circuit that powers 2 - 100W. light bulbs and the same
result.
I suspected a loosed feed wire in the main box but didn't find anything.
I am at a loss on this one. Please help if you can.

bruce