Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

Default West apartment window heat problem

In article GCGdg.198$lN5.191@trnddc04, James Lewis says...

I live in an apartment in N TX that has a west window that is 7'W X 6'T. It
is actually a double window with four panes each. The heat has come early
this year and the direct sun on that window makes the entire apartment hard
to cool. I was going to have a dark tint applied to the window but the
apartment owners forbid that. Is there a website that sells an effective
heat barrier, like a pull down window shade that would reduce the direct sun
heat? If so, please provide a website and ballpark cost if you know it. I'm
not an engineer but it seems logical to me that a tint would be the best
because it prevents some heat from ever getting into the apartment???

Presumably, the owners will not allow outdoor awnings either. Or indoor
shutters. So, as a renter your best option is in draperies lined with a light
color, kept drawn.

Banty