Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Default Finger brake vs. press brake

I think I'll get the HF 20 ton press:
and their 20 ton air-over jack:
make up some dies and use it as a press brake. It would be used mostly
in place of a finger brake, which I can't afford. Seems like it would
be more flexible also.

Before I do, I'd like to get some input as to its limitations. The ones
I see are that the material can't be more than 22" wide and that the
cycle time might be slow. How slow would it be?

I assume that I could make partial bends (less than the angle of the
die) with a partial stroke. Is this feasible, or will I need a
different die for each angle?

Any estimates as the the maximum guage for a full width bend (22")? How
wide could 1/4" stock be bent?

Any experienced users care to share their thoughts?

Thanks,
Bob