Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus32746

Default ANNOUNCEMENT: metalworking wiki page

On Fri, 26 May 2006 12:20:09 -0500, Don Foreman wrote:
On Mon, 22 May 2006 18:54:59 GMT, Ignoramus18798
wrote:

http:// metalworking .algebra .com/

This is a metalworking wiki page that anyone can edit.

I think this is a swell idea, but I would like to suggest a badly
needed page: something like "using this wiki for dummies."

I have started that page: http://www.metalworker.org/Help

I wrote how to upload a PDF file.

I see the term "talk"; what does that mean and how does it work?

Talk page is a page for discussing a page.

For example there could be a page about soldering. Say you want to ask
to discuss silver soldering. You could click on "Talk", edit the talk
page, and say: gentlemen, please make sure to also write about silver
soldering. Then someone who looks at the talk page would notice your
request.

How do I (easily) upload something like a web page with linked photos
that will be easy for me to edit as a project progresses?

I will write a tutorial about it, but the main idea is that you upload
the photos first (say you upload picture Puzzlenut.jpg), and then
write a page that refers to that picture by typing

[[Image:Puzzlenut.jpg]]

For example, I have a user page (like everyone else):

http://www.metalworker.org/User:Ichudov

I uploaded a picture of myself and named it Ichudov.jpg.

Then I edited my user page and typed

[[image:Ichudov.jpg|right|thumb|250px|Igor's Picture]]

I took that text from some example, it made a 250 pixel thumbnail of
my picture. I could have just said

[[image:Ichudov.jpg]]

and the image would be inserted.

How do visitors make comments, like "did you consider...." ?

How does one pose questions?

Pose question to whom? I created a page for wanted articles here

http://www.metalworker.org/Articles_wanted

that would be a good place to ask for stuff,I think.

I will be happy to answer more questions.