Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default ANNOUNCEMENT: metalworking wiki page

On Fri, 26 May 2006 03:10:14 -0700, xray
wrote:

On Fri, 26 May 2006 01:19:44 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

Ig, I know
about as much about 'puterspeak as you do about welding and power
electronics.

You may seek to start an exclusive club for those like you who are
computer-literate and also do a little metal now and then. Might be
fun for y'all.

The redneck version of an exclusive club works something like this:
"He ain't lahk us, let's shoot him!"

It'll only work if the computer literati find ways to make posting easy
and someone(or many) step up and put some level of organization behind
the content.

A nobel attempt, I'd say. Sharing is what this group is about, so the
idea of the wiki is a good thing. Time will tell if the new repository
can find a way to present things in a way that will be accepted.

I have to admit, that with my quick look at what wikis are, it requires
a whole new language to make pages, and there don't seem to be many
tools for converting common formats (word, pdf, even txt) to a good
looking wiki page.

Because of the steep learning curve for nice-looking wiki pages and the
complication of keeping some sort of sensibility to the information's
organization, it seems to me that it will require lots of time from lots
of inside people to make it work.

When Iggy started posting about his home-brew welder idea I thought he
was crazy, but he is young and enthusiastic enough to work through the
difficulties and limitations. Because of that, I think the wiki idea
could eventually succeed.

It will be nice if it can work. I'm more inclined to try to help than to
just shoot this one down.

I heartily agree.

It would be nice if it could accomodate a .pdf document, Word
document or web page. It's a lot easier and more enjoyable to
write, edit and insert photos in a format I'm already familiar with.
I even wrote an article with photos and everthang on my current
project of motorizing a boatlift, converted it to a .pdf document
-- and here it sits because I can't figure out how to upload it. I'm
motivated to share, but not enough to learn a bunch of new-to-me
'puter jargon. I can produce a Word document, a .pdf file or a web
page, seems like that should suffice.