Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

Default Earth bonding on armoured mains cable

Indeed; point taken. But in this case it isn't as straightforward as missing
appointments for something easily defined. It's all the buck-passing: "sorry
guv I can't touch that bit of your installation" and "sorry guv I'm only a
subcontractor" etc.

If the meter operator is already on site and can`t carry out work due to
the failure of equipment belonging to the REC it needs to be passed as
an emergency call - you effectively have no means of isolation if there
was a fire (and you had no DP isolator switch fitted).

The RECs` shift sparks are authorised to do whatever is required to put
the customer back on supply - which includes bypassing the meter
entirely if necessary, and the meter operator to rerurn at a later date.

I would love to see letter from Energywatch if the customer was on a
dialysis machine, and the shift electrician didn`t get the customer back
on supply by hook or by crook (*where safe to do so).

...And then the basic incompetence, like repeatedly leaving
last-minute messages for me only on my work phone where the voicemail
clearly says "I am not at work today", they know it's my work contact and
they know it's about my home anyway (where I am sitting waiting for them to
show).

I think its reasonable to reject that as a means of contact if they`re
only trying to get hold of you on the day. Strongly suggest they make
the payment or you`ll refer it to energywatch anyway.