Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Default Concrete Repairs pending

I Love Lucy wrote:
Hi, I've never posted on this forum, am a female, 64, and have never
done anything with concrete other than play jacks on it, etc.

Here is all the work I want, make that badly need, done, and don't even
know the right questions to ask. I have one estimate for $1650 which
probably isn't too bad, but I just realized that is the cost of a lens I
want.

Here's what needs done. Click on the first thumbnail and you can click
through the rest, five images in all, let the pictures speak for
themselves. I asked on another group, no responses yet, put up the
photos this way so people wouldn't have to have them constantly
reloading if a threaded discussion ensues, the whole thread is replayed
everytime you click on the OP which is the only way to get to anything
on it (home repair forum on gardenweb.com).

http://www.white-peacock.com/Galleries/Concrete/

$150 to patch both front porch corners (will have custom rails made on
the front porch (broken corners, also goingdown the back steps) and
anchored further back in the old undamaged part and perhaps one end to
the house, not sure about that yet), $1200 to pour new steps (6) plus
the slab which is uneven abutting them, and $300 to pour a new back slab
which has sunk toward the house (see photos). I did read sometimes you
can jack slabs up and fill them underneath to level them.

This is bugging me because I know a guy who does pretty decent cement
work reasonably but he also likes to drink and this is his heavy work
season, he lays around all winter. He said he'd come one Sunday and
didn't show so that is risky business. I hate paying a contractor when
I know what I want and how I want it; they will just skim money off the
top and get somebody else to do the work. I don't need a building
permit for this in my town, but I do if I want to install any kind of
exterior door on my house.

Problem is I can't find anybody who would moonlight a job like this and
was wondering if my family pitching together could do it cheaper.
Probably not. I think I could almost fix those broken porch corners
myself, guy wants $150 just for that. I know I can't do any heavy
sledgehammer work or build forms. But I can call the cement company,
tell them what mix I want, and when to come pour.

I also found some concrete forms in the yellow pages (4 local ones),
thought I'd call them just to see what they offer.

I don't want the pre-poured steps, they aren't quite the right size,
have those raised spots, and I don't like them.

Ideally I'd like to have everything on my property torn off and concrete
foundation with brick overlayment, but I that is too much and brick
would be more likely to deterioate faster, especially since we have
pretty cold winters here and I have to salt the front porch and steps..

Lucy - Have it done professionally. You may be able to save a few $$$ if
you get your cheap young labor to remove all the old concrete from the
area first. You will get a better job with replacement versus repair.
For example, that slab that is sunk on the house side. If they just pour
on top of that then it is likely to move again. It moved because the
soil below was not compacted, the slab did not have a proper base and
you may also have some water issues. It should be removed, the soil
compacted, 4" of stone put down and compacted and then the new slab
formed on top of that. I would also have it sloped away from the house a
little (1/4" per foot slope).

Steps are more tricky - If you can get pre-formed steps that may be
easier and better if your contractor is a little green.

As for payment - Do not pay for the job up front.
Do this
- 10% deposit when a date for the work is agreed upon.
- 50% when job starts
- 40% upon completion

Better yet is 100% when complete.

When I do work for folks I do not ask for ANYTHING up front. I just ask
them to pay me when complete and when satisfied.