Posted to alt.home.repair
P. Thompson

Default Gluing copper pipes

On Fri, 26 May 2006, nothermark wrote:

Off hand I would worry about toxicity, movement underprolonged heat
and mechanical failure from differential rates of expansion. I also
note that if it worked well with minor problems the industry would
have changed to it years ago. Torches are a safety hazard.

I bought some of this stuff for a difficult to reach spot.

My impression of it is that for quantity use solder is much cheaper hence
the industry hasn't moved.

Plus, like PVC pipe, it takes away much of the 'value add' a plumber
brings for people who don't like working around flame, having stuff have a
pinhole leak, and having to work around flame again.

Supposedly it can be used for potable water and is approved for it in some
localities and is generally approved for sprinkler pipe. With copper
prices what they are lately I can't imagine who is using copper for that,
however. When copper was cheaper it probably allowed a contractor to use
less expensive labor to install sprinker who might otherwise have been
prone to accidentally burning down buildings or scratching their heads
with a lit torch.

Paul