Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gluing copper pipes

On Fri, 26 May 2006 03:26:15 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message

"Jack" n wrote in message
. ..
Those solderless epoxy glue sold at HD any good for connection of hot
and cold water copper pipes good for new permanent installation not
quick fix? Anyone with experience?
I used epoxy on two cold water joints. When I wanted to use it 6 months
later after the first use, it had gone bad. I wouldn't buy it again for
that reason; too expensive for two joints. However, it was several years
ago, and no leaks yet.

What's preventing you from using a standard solder joint? I'm always a
bit leery of new products just cause who knows how they'll work in 10-20
years. Soldering has been pretty well proven.
Cheers,
cc

Cause the pipe was right up against wood and it seemed like an appropriate
solution. The epoxy in laminated FG hasn't failed in the 50 years it has
been in use; why should this?

If its right against wood, (as in going into a wall) you solder the
entire section and push it in place. Then do your final solder job
away from wood, or use a union.

If its just against a floor joist, cut off a few inches and make the
new piece longer.

Of course there are asbestos pads and tin to prevent burning wood.

Mark