Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Projection TV convergence problem? What does this picture show?

I think you are right, it looks like I need to back up and start over.
I hooked the outputs from the convergence board back up how they were
originally. The picture I get is:
http://www.signaturefactory.com/dlip/tv3.jpg

I remember the hatch looking much more like that shown in the previous
(where I had output swapped). But now, looking at the previous hatch I
see that red was very hard to see. The red lines are very faint when
hooked properly and near the top of the picture are quite wavy. When
watching TV the center of the picture looks just OK but near the top we
see a wave of red. I looked at both circuit boards attached to the red
yoke and I see no bad solder joints, no capacitors that look like
they've gone, and no other components that are obviously bad.

Any suggestions?

wrote:
First of all, you cannot just switch red and blue. There were old Sonys
that had the red and blue well matched and the convergence affected
them somwhat like the middle set of rings on a tri-color CRT.

Now, OP, you have confused the issue switching **** around, show me the
crosshatch with the connections correct.

Put the thing how you found it, post a pic then, then I will look at
it. From the pic you have, you have a foldover, but not a real bad one,
it is more like a voltage amp clipping.

Then this could also very easily be a fault in the blue channel of the
DCM. Do you know how to definitively check if the STKs are good with a
scope ?. Also, you can't even do it in that set without extreme
measures. jusat hook it back up right and let me see it.

You might find that a resistor, say a 1 ohm, overheated and became
LOWER, like 1/4 ohm. I have had it happen.

You might find a leaky Zener diode, All kinds of parts that cost less
than a dollar. Which one ?

First thing, is to put it back together, I don't mean the back, but I
wanna see all three colors with each hooked up to the proper outputs.
This color switching technique doesn't work anymore. I need to see the
problem, not the problem as modified by you.

Put the thing back right, don't put it together, I couldn't care less
if your cat crawls in there. UNtamper the set and show me the picture,
and tell me if it is with new STKs, and where they came from and if
there was a change in the symptom after their replacement.

Then we can proceed.

Any of you out there wonders why it costs $300 to fix these things,
take a crack at it.

JURB