Mark Rand

Default silver and deming vs. reduced shank?

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:50:55 -0800, "FixerDave" wrote:

Hi,

I was going to ask what a "silver and deming" drill was but thought an
Internet search was in order first. So, I found out that "silver and
deming" comes from the name of a company that was the result of a merger
between the Silver Manufacturing and Deming Manufacturing companies. So,
now I know that "silver and deming" has nothing to do with what the drills
are made of, or for...

But I still don't know why some manufacturers sell "silver and deming"
drills while others sell "reduced shank" drills. What's the difference?

Oh, wait a sec... is it that "reduced shank" drills are reduced down to
fit in a 3/8" chuck and "silver and deming" drills are reduced down to 1/2"
??? Or, is it just some traditionalist verses modern naming convention?

It's no big deal... I use M taper drills but I am curious.

David...

They'e both blacksmith's drills.

Mark Rand
RTFM