Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

Default Any free CAD software

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message
from "Brian Sharrock" contains these words:

but if one
wants to 'construct' a roof using rafters, purlins, and joists of certain
sizes at certain spacing .... how does one start?

Do one, then copy it all down the roof. Select move/copy, choose the
item to be copied, then press and release [Ctrl]. A + will appear beside
the cursor. Now, click on the endpoint, and then type /n [Enter] where n
is now many repeats you wanted. You can change the number as often as
you like until you do something else, then it's locked.

Thanks for responding; - I'm interested in SketchUp for 'modelling' my
'intended' single storey rear extension and loft conversion
proposal/project/pipedream.
I've tried to follow your instructions; but couldn't get it to work ....
Do one,

I 'constructed' a beam/joist by drawing a rectangle on the red axis/blue
axis,
then (rotating the eye point) 'extruded' the rectangle into a beam of an
arbitrary length- about twice the 'height' of the man.
I used the component tool to capture all the surfaces and this became my
'one'.

....then copy it all down the roof.

Select move/copy, choose the
item to be copied, then press and release [Ctrl]. A + will appear beside
the cursor.

That happened !

Now, click on the endpoint,

I moved the mouse and the 'move/copy' cursor moved along the red axis to a
guesstimated thirty feet .... and clicked ...

and then type /n [Enter]

...... did that (typed in figure 5) ...

where n
is now many repeats you wanted. You can change the number as often as
you like until you do something else, then it's locked.

Five 'beams' appeared all cheek by jowl with the original 'one'.

They were not spaced as I interpreted from your message .... should I nudge
each individual 'beam' into position?

Thanks for responding.

--

Brian