Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

Default Loft insulation and ventilation.

On Fri, 26 May 2006 13:37:18 +0100, Guy King
wrote:

Just had the estimator round to get the loft insulation topped up.
Particularly because of the very shallow pitch of the roof I'm concerned
that the 250mm insulation will block the natural ventilation round the
eaves.

I've just been working in among the rockwool in my shallow pitched
roof. Horrible, itchy experience. I don't know how much ventilation
occurs naturally up there via the eaves but I do know that with an
airbrick in each opposing gable wall, there's a pretty constant and
very noticeable breeze. Do you notice much air movement if you stick
your head above the parapet? If so, you could make sure there's a
similar effect after they've finished the job. If there's noticeable
air movement on a lightly breezy day, it should indicate a significant
amount of ventilation eh?. I certainly wouldn't want to crawl around
in the stuff any more than necessary if it's rockwool or fibreglass.
Perhaps you've gone for the more literary type material?

What methods are the installers likely to use to get round this, and how
do I check they've done it?

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack