Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Concrete Repairs pending

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
I think I could almost fix those broken porch corners myself, guy wants
$150 just for that. I know I can't do any heavy sledgehammer work or
build forms. But I can call the cement company, tell them what mix I
want, and when to come pour.

I also found some concrete forms in the yellow pages (4 local ones),
thought I'd call them just to see what they offer.

I don't want the pre-poured steps, they aren't quite the right size, have
those raised spots, and I don't like them.

The price you have sounds reasonable. Have you ever worked concrete? It is
heavy and hard work. Doing the steps as a starter is a rather risky way to
learn. Having all the concrete delivered at one time can be tough unless
you have people that know what they are doing in place. Is all of this
accessible from the truck? Do you have to wheelbarrow some of to the slab?
Can you do those corners while everything else is going on? The corners
should be hand mixed. Just bring home a couple of those 80# bags and you are
ready to go.

Very heavy material, limited working time, no easy way to do it over if you
goof up, no way to store mixed concrete if you run into a problem mid-pour,
.. . . . Your decision. I'd pay the money.