Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

Default Upgrading garage circuit to 100A?

"Ignoramus5457" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 May 2006 06:45:43 -0400, John Grabowski

wrote:

"Ignoramus16643" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 24 May 2006 20:26:36 -0400, John Grabowski

wrote:

"Ignoramus8797" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 23 May 2006 18:04:58 -0400, John Grabowski
wrote:

What type of phase converter do you have? Is it motor driven?

That
may
be
contributing to your load and causing the breaker to trip.

It is a rotary phase converter, with two idlers, 10 and 7.5 HP. It

has
a power factor correction capacitor, which mitigates power factor
issues when it idles (no load).

The phase converter is probably your problem. Those things consume

power.
I only suggest the use of them as an absolute last resort. Any

chance
that
your welder will work off of single phase?

It is a good question, but, unfortunately, there is no such
chance. Everything inside it is 3 phase, the 3 phase transformer, 3
phase SCR rectifier, SCR firing controller that insists on having 3
phases, etc.

Well I guess you can decide if it is cheaper to buy a single phase

welder,
or upgrade your subpanel, or install a separate circuit for the welder.

If
you decide to install a separate circuit for the welder you should take

the
load for the phase converter into consideration. One horsepower equals

746
watts. It sounds to me that if you didn't have the phase converter, you
could probably use the welder on your existing subpanel. The more juice

you
need for the welder, the harder the phase converter works and draws more
power. Your electric meter is also spinning more as that phase

converter
consumes power.

This welder's main problem is bad power factor. It uses a lot more
current than would a machine with better power factor. Looking at
power, my 60A circuit can produce 14 kW, which ought to be enough for
any welder or cutter. But this thing has a low power factor.

Another option is to contact the power company to find out if 3 phase

power
is available in your neighborhood and get quotes as to the cost to

install a
3 phase service.

Yes, good point, I can check on that.

igor

Why did you buy this monster? Are you planning to move to a commercial shop
someday? It sounds like it is more trouble than you need for a home shop
welder. My advice is to sell it and get something suitable for your
situation.