Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner

Default Tung Oil?

In article , says...

Because it is $10 bottle for $0.50. If it is good, then I have a gloat; if
it is bad I have lost $0.50.

The piece I tested it on yesterday dried nicely and looks good. I think it
is a gloat, but will test it on a larger piece before getting carried away.

My can of tung oil is well over 10 years old. It's a bitch to prise open the
first time when I want to put it back into action, but other than that it's
good as gold. I thin it with vege turps 10%-30% for first and second
application.

Can be very slow drying - I used it on a eucalypt hearth surround and we had to
step over it for weeks, but it's given that bluegum a beautiful purple finish
and nothing has marred/stained that timber in 15 years now :-)

It's definitely a tryer-outer though, on some timbers I don't much care for its
appearance, on others it's just beautiful.

-P.