Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Electrical ground fault

I would try a different electrician. The cable going to this dead outlet has
to come from somewhere, and depending upon the location of the dead outlet,
such as outside or in a bathroom, it should give a clue to where to look for
the problem. It sounds like a loose connection, but the devil is finding
where

"nj_dilettante" wrote in message
I have a circuit which has no power even though the breaker is on. The
power stays off for several months, then suddenly goes back on. Several
months later, it suddenly goes off. I haven't noticed any triggering
events.

The electrician I've been using tells me its a ground fault and can only
be checked when the power is on. He goes from outlet to outlet, fixture
to fixture, testing but never seems to find anything. I'm not even sure
what he's testing! I've forked over a ton of money to this guy and still
have a problem.

Does this sound reasonable, or should I be looking for another
electrician? I wish I could re-wire, but it just isn't in the budget right
now!

--
nj_dilettante
in the words of the immortal Sgt Schultz: