Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

Default Newbie help! Interlock vs. transfer switch

Whats to install POP? its an outlet, the extension cord is an extension
cord. What code do I have to pass? Its just a supplied outlet leading from
the back of my garage. When the power goes I simply cut my main then fire up
the genny, result is the same but the cost is nil. I'm not an ijut therefore
I KNOW to turn off my power. My power doesn't go out regular enough nor do I
need a back up supply for medical reasons, I simply want it so I don't miss
HOUSE on Tuesday night! No need to go to all the expense of having transfer
switch for an occasional power outage. Its not like my genny is going to
come on all by itself anyway, someone has to go pull it out of the garage,
wheel it around back, cut the main and plug in the genny.

My electrician installed the outlet (at the time I didn't realize how
easy installing a breaker was) and to think that cost me 75 bucks! He also
TOLD me how to go about installing my genny the proper way. Hell I hated
having an extension cord running through my door.
So, I am viloating no codes nor am I hazzarding a linemans life in this way.
My house has two seperate panels (one for the shop and one for the house)
plus a knife switch box for the main supply.

Safety is the concern here first and foremost, the key to my genny is hangin
on the knife switch box, so there is no way I can run the genny without
first throwing that main..

THROW THE MAIN, notice how many times I brought that up, IT IMPORTANT!!!!

Searcher