Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Default Newbie help! Interlock vs. transfer switch

PRNole wrote:

I've been getting a lot of contradictory information from my local
electrical contractors on my way to get an estimate for installing a
manual transfer switch between my generator and my breaker panel. I
need to clear the picture and hope someone can help me:

I have an off-the-rack Lowe's bought "Troy-Built" 5500W portable
gasoline generator and want to install a transfer switch so I can
by-pass the house's main breaker and run the generator to supply
temporary juice when undergoing extended loss or power.

So far I have gotten the following advice (and prices):

1. Install a 6-circuit manual transfer switch for $600

Will work just fine, but limits you to having to select which six
circuits will have backup capability.

2. Install the same as above for $1,200 to $1,800, depending on what's
involved

May or not be a reasonable cost depending on the installation issues. If
you have a fairly new panel surface mounted in a basement or garage with
easy access and plenty of space for the new switch it's probably pretty
overpriced. If however you have a hideously old panel flush mounted in
an old stucco's wall in a filthy, cramped, spider infested basement with
no room for the transfer panel then the price might be good. Point is
that parts are pretty well known, but time and labor could vary
tremendously.

3. Told my generator cannot work with a transfer switch

Utterly false, any 120V or 120/240V 60HZ (US) generator can work with a
manual transfer switch. Some really small ones it would be pointless
with since they couldn't handle more than a refrigerator (if that) and
an extension cord would be just as easy.

A 5,500W generator is quite adequate to power a "normal" 1,500-2,000 sq.
ft. home just fine during a power failure. It can power a well pump, gas
or oil furnace (no electric heat though), refrigerator, small window A/C
(no central), lights, TV, etc.

4. Told I'd be better off using a Square D Interlock kit instead of the
6-circuit transfer switch so I can use the entire existing house
breaker panel and manage the load myself, not being restricted to 6
circuits (My breaker panel is a GE and supports Square D)

The Square D interlock kit is a very good and inexpensive option that
gives you good flexibility and also an easy upgrade path if you get a
larger generator down the road. Since it interlocks the main breaker in
the panel with any standard two pole breaker in the 2/4 position of the
panel it can accommodate generator feeds up to the maximum branch
circuit breaker size of the panel which is 125A (30KW).

I just installed the Square D kit ($30) along with a new Square D QO
200A panel in my house. If you have a Square D panel it's a great
option. I would never install a Square D interlock kit on a non Square D
panel however as it would void all approvals and testing that the kit
has passed. If there is a similar GE kit made for your panel use it to
maintain the approvals.

5. Told *never* to use GE Interlock (or any other brand) and stick with
manual transfer switches instead, whether 6- or more circuits

The interlock kits *are* manual transfer switches, indeed they are
closer to the "real" large transfer switches that switch the feed before
the panel than the little six circuit panels are. The little six circuit
panels are basically six tiny little 20A transfer switches vs. one large
one.

All the above info provided by 5 different state-certified, licensed
contractors that operate in my local area.

The interlock kits are quite new so that probably explains what you were
told in #5. Old electricians are leery of new stuff and prefer to stick
with what they are familiar with.

The little six circuit transfer switches are still a lot newer than the
"real" large single transfer switches, but they've been around long
enough for electricians to get comfortable with them. When they first
showed up on the market you would have heard similar comments to #5.

Number 3 is out in left field and is either a crotchety old fart who
doesn't want to deal with a small job, or someone who wants to sell you
one of the much more expensive packaged standby generator / automatic
transfer switch units like the Guardian units sold a Depot and Lowe's
(nothing wrong with those packages though, just more expensive).

Number 4 is entirely correct that the Square D interlock kit is a good
option, but should not be recommending installing a Square D kit on a GE
panel.

For reference here is the link to the Square D product announcement for
the interlock kits:

http://ecatalog.squared.com/techlib/...00892680126e4f

Pete C.

So, I have learned nothing except I need independent advice.

Help?