Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Woodward

Default Rare 18 amp fuse in Panasonic microwave

Panasonic had an issue with the 18 amp fuses in a series of their microwave
ovens. The fuses were not up to spec and they would go intermittent or blow
for no reason. Panasonic recommends the fuse be replaced with a 20 amp
fuse.

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message

Jack wrote:
My 2 y/o Panasonic NN-T664 microwave (1300W inverter design) blew a

fuse,
apparently due to the fuse simply wearing out. All else seems normal,
including door switches.

The first symptom was loss of display, but unplugging/re-plugging the

power
cord restored that briefly. Then, I removed and reinstalled the original
fuse and got another burst of life. The fuse was intermittent for a day
before finally going open.

The Panasonic factory fuse was an ABC 125/250V 18A ceramic, but I can

only
find 15A or 20A versions in hardware or electronics stores. Even online,
18A fuses are elusive. Maximum current in this oven is stated as 12.7A

at
1,460 watts. So far the 15A fuse I replaced it with has held up after a

two
days.

Does anyone know why Panasonic uses a rare 18A fuse (vs. 15A or 20A) and
how long a 15A fuse should last?

Jack

Hi Jack...

Here's a couple...