Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Spalted Maple Finishing

Josh wrote:
Good point about the shellac. I was trying to think of how a jewelry
box would ever be exposed to alcohol, and I missed the incredibly
obvious situation you pointed out - cologne, perfume, hairspray, etc.

As far as the tung oil comment goes, perhaps I should clarify: True
tung oil is a curing oil and can be and has been used for centuries as
a finish. With enough patience one can get decent looking results with
superior water-repellent properties to linseed oil. However, for the
average consumer/woodworker, achieving good results with tung oil would
seem painstaking to say the least. It takes several days to cure
between coats and it takes many, many coats before an even sheen begins
to appear. Apply too many coats, though, and the built-up film will be
soft and weak.

Off-the-shelf boiled linseed oil is usually just that - linseed oil
with metallic dryers to speed up curing (the ingredient which gives it
the "boiled" designation). This is truly a curing-oil finish and it
behaves and protects as such. Having a product labeled "tung oil" on
the shelf right next to the BLO imlies that it is a similar type of
finish, especially given that tung oil IS a curing oil. However, these
products are almost NEVER curing-oil finishes. They are oil/varnish
blends.

What do they say on the label, "Tung Oil" or "Tung Oil FInish"?

What does it say under "contents"?

How about some examples, by product name?

I usually see them on the shelf next to Danish oil, which typically
has no Danish in it. The BLO is more often found next to the
paint thinner, which, BTW, typically has no paint in it.

By the way, this is straight off the Waterlox web site: "Waterlox's
exclusive process takes Tung Oil , Resin, Mineral Spirits and other
ingredients, to produce a complete wood finish that gives you the look
and feel of a naturally oiled wood, with the additional benefit of
forming a surface that is waterproof". Kudos to them for not referring
to their product as "tung oil".

I'd expect a package labeled "Buckwheat Pancakes" to have pancakes
in it, made from Buckwheat, not pure Buckwheat.

I'd expect a bottle labeled "Tung Oil Finish" to contain a wood finish
made from Tung Oil, not pure Tung Oil.

--

FF