Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Default Steam

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 24 May 2006 21:14:58 -0500, Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Actually it went to Diesel-Electric. The Diesel motor drives an electric generator
that then drives DC motors for the drive. Speed control and power better with DC and electricity.

Right. I'd like to buy a diesel-electric hybrid car, but there aren't
any on the market and I can't imagine the reason. Anyone? I mean, the
benefits of regenerative braking, with the ability to use existing
fueling infrastructure _or_ a biofuel. Why the heck can't I buy one?

To get regenerative braking you'd need
a diesel, an alternator or generator,
a controller, a battery and at least
one traction motor. Too much weight
and complexity to haul around.

BTW, diesel-electric locomotives do not
have regenerative braking. Road locomotives
have dynamic braking which just burns the
power up in a resistor grid rather than
on the wheels and brake shoes. Yard and
switch locomotives don't even have that.