Posted to alt.home.repair
crmay

Default Benchtop from T&G flooring

Hi,

I'm in the process of renovating the kitchen and bathroom and would
like some advice on building a kitchen benchtop and shelves using some
19mm T&G oak floor boards. The initial plan was to strap the
floorboards every so often by nailing them into a 25x35 joist (similar
to laying actual floor), then running around the edges with 45mm oak
beading.

I've since been doing a bit more reading and another possible solution
is to glue the boards over the top of a piece of MDF or plywood in
addition to putting screws up through the MDF into the hardwood. If I
use this method, I'm not sure how thick the MDF should be?

Can anyone suggest the best solution for the job?

Cheers,