Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ideal Workbench Depth & Height

trbo20 wrote:
While at HD recently, I found a large bin full of 4' premium 2x10s in
their culled lumber for $0.51 / piece. I've been meaning to build a
basement workbench, and figured these would be perfect for the work
surface. My plan is to lay them down side by side like a deck and
cover them with a piece of 1/4" oak ply.

My question is, given 4' boards to work with and no floor space
limitations, how deep would you make the bench. At 4' I won't
really be able to reach the peg board in the back, but I would have
that much more surface on which to work.

My other question is, how high would you make it? Is there a rule of
thumb such as x inches above the waist?

Thanks in advance,
-T

If you really have no floor space limitations, build the thing twice as
wide as the 1.25 times your arm reaches the guy suggested, put it in
the middle of the floor not against the wall, so that you can get to it
from both sides, and you can build really mammoth projects.