Posted to alt.home.repair
Dennis Turner

Default Question about PEX tubing

On 5/22/2006 7:50 PM or thereabouts, Eigenvector appears, somewhat
unbelievably, to have opined:

wrote in message
I was just looking at this and wondering about using for a ho****er line to
the garage. Looked in Lowes and they had Pex but no crimping stuff like
you
described. They had fittings where you just pushed in the tube and that
was
it. I have not used the stuff and that's about all I know about it. Looked
in HD here but they do not carry it. I suppose I could go online somewhere
and find the stuff. I might as well ask whiel I am into this. Do I want
the
push fittings? Or do I want to get the crimping stuff. Copper is out of
sight now around here. Thanks.

My very limited experience with it tells me that the crimp kind is
relatively expensive but a sure thing. The crimp tool is about 100 bucks at
Lowe's (1/2 or 3/4, and 200 bucks for the combination tool!!! frowny face)
but you can rent them I've heard. I didn't as about 3 or 4 of my friends
are going to do the same thing later on. That said, the fittings are super
cheap, low profile, and pretty durable. I am having a heck of a time
finding a 1/2 shut off valve for a sink line.

I went to the HD and asked about PEX, the guy there said (and I quote)
"Yeah, we don't carry that stuff, it's only really used in mobile homes."

Yeah, thanks Home Depot any other slights you can throw my way?

If I could find an online source I'd do it from there, but Lowe's it is.

Here's an example of my first attempt, it's ugly but the PEX is solid as a
rock.
http://imageevent.com/eigenvector/plumbinginmynewhouse
Warning not for the eyes of a skilled plumber!

In new construction in my area they put copper stubouts that attach to
the PEX for attaching shutoff valves and the like. Then you're dealing
with something most people know how to work with at the fixtures
themselves. I've been living in a house with all PEX for 2 years now. No
problems whatsoever. As for the mobile home comment, most new
construction in my area be they modest or large homes, are plumbed with
PEX these days.

--
As a child, my parents thought I was an idiot-savant.
Now, however, it is rather clear that I'm simply an idiot.