Roy

Default silver and deming vs. reduced shank?

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:50:55 -0800, "FixerDave"
wrote:

===Hi,
===
===I was going to ask what a "silver and deming" drill was but thought an
===Internet search was in order first. So, I found out that "silver and
===deming" comes from the name of a company that was the result of a merger
===between the Silver Manufacturing and Deming Manufacturing companies. So,
===now I know that "silver and deming" has nothing to do with what the drills
===are made of, or for...
===
===But I still don't know why some manufacturers sell "silver and deming"
===drills while others sell "reduced shank" drills. What's the difference?
===
===Oh, wait a sec... is it that "reduced shank" drills are reduced down to
===fit in a 3/8" chuck and "silver and deming" drills are reduced down to 1/2"
===??? Or, is it just some traditionalist verses modern naming convention?
===
===It's no big deal... I use M taper drills but I am curious.
===
=== David...
===

To me its just the name brand, just like Latrobe or Cleveland. They
were or may have been the first company to market reduced shank bits
and the name stuck.........just like the name Weedeater actually a
name of Poulans, but its associated with all string trimmers no matter
who makes them.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.