Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default High pitch whine from flyback xformer

Hello;

After rebuilding the SMPS inside my 32" Zenith Z32X31D the other day
(lightning killed it); The past couple of days I been noticing a very
loud ear-piercing high pitch whine coming from the flyback transformer
and when I apply a small amount of pressure to the side of the flyback
transformer (using a insulated screwdriver) it stops making the noise,
then when I let go it starts back up again. So it seems when pressure
is applied to it; it will shutup. I think heat the expansion of the
ferrite core; triggers it maybe?

I sometimes hear this distinct sound when I am in stores around the TV
section. I noticed it ALWAYS made this noise since the day I bought it,
usually when the TV is first turned on for a few minutes, then it would
stop. But it's louder now than ever. Should I replace the capacitors in
the H.O.T. section also? Thanks for any feedback