Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tung Oil?

wrote:
Toller wrote:

I have never used tung oil; it seemed too expensive for what it was.

At a garage sale today I bought a large, very old, bottle of pure tung
oil
for $0.50.

SNIP

Does this sound like a usable product, or has it gone bad from long
storage?
The brand is "Hope". Seems like a good idea...

SNIP

I never understand this line of thinking. If you buy an ancient bottle
of tung oil, what were you thinking you would use it for? It may or
may not have been opened before, and on old cans and bottles it can be
really hard to tell. So is this something you would use on a project?
On a piece of furniture that you have sweated over to make as perfect
as you can? Pretty bold not knowing the actual age or history of the
bottle.

I wouldn't use it on anything. Watch the Wooodcraft near you; about
twice a year they put on a pint or 24 oz bottle for $9.95. Then you
get fresh stuff, ready to go that will thin and mix correctly.

What he bought is pefectly good and useable, so why not
use it?

--

FF