Posted to alt.home.repair
ken s.

Default Question on circular saw

On 24 May 2006 12:56:11 -0700, wrote:

I currently have a reciprocating saw that I've used to rebuild a fence
with, but I just received a circular saw as a gift. It's a low-end Skil
saw (so there is no electric brake), and I'm thinking about exchanging
it for a jigsaw instead. I want to repair the soffit & fascia on my
house, and occasionally make small blocks of wood. However, I'm not
really comfortable with spinning objects (years ago I witnessed a
handyman lose a finger trying to saw plywood on my lawn, he could have
gotten his foot sawn off as well...). Can I do what I want to do with
just my reciprocating saw and an orbital jigsaw?

Thanks for any replies.

Jan

Many home repairs can be done without resorting to a circular saw.
Heck, many homes, cathedrals, pyramids, etc. have been built without
power tools.

A good reciprocating saw is actually pretty handy. Circular saws can
be dangerous in untrained hands. Stay away from the Chinese crap
Wal-Mart and Home Depot are selling at $29.99. Invest in a $159 Hilti
(excellent brake, good reputation) or a $129 DeWalt (brake ok, plastic
base, lightweight).

I don't know why manufacturers don't make brake a standard feature on
circular saws over $150. It's a good thing to have.

There should be a Website to teach people how to saw wood safely with
a circular saw - simple stuff like how to cut off 2x4s or plywood on
the ground or using a workbench or sawhorses. Perhaps somebody can
post a link to such a Website.