Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

Default How to terminate circuit inside already finished wall ?

"Don Young" wrote in message

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for your feedback guys. My plan was/is to terminate the circuit
inside an upstream outlet box just before the outlet in question if at
all possible. That seems like the cleanest solution. However, I have
a sinking feeling that the outlet in question may be branched off from
a breakout box I can't access.

I guess option two is to install ANOTHER outlet next to the existing
one and label accordingly but I kind of didn't want to do that.

What if I cap the wires off inside the outlet box with wirenuts &
electrical tape, put a cover on the box, and just push it back inside
the wall. Is that a big no-no? I guess if I have to ask it probably
is, but any additional feedback would be appreciated. :-)

Thanks,
Kevin

I must be missing something here. Why can't you just disconnect and cap

the
existing wires in the old box, fish the new cable into the old box, and
connect the new wires to the outlet?

I'm no code expert (one will be along shortly), but I was always taught 2
hots in one box was a no-no, other than for a split outlet, even if one was
capped. Sure, OP would know what is going on, but the next guy in there 20
years later might not. And split outlets were supposed to be fed by a 3-wire
drop.

aem sends...