Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

Default Add One Neutral Bus Connection ?

" wrote in message
oups.com...
In my panel, all the white wires are connected to a bus on the left
side of the panel. I'm calling the terminals on that bus the neutral
terminals. On the right side, all the bare copper wires are connected
to a bus which I'm calling the ground terminals.

IIRC, the two busses are connected so I think it would be OK to use one
of the ground terminals for the connection of a neutral wire. But, I
just wanted to double check here..

On all the main panels I have seen, neutrals and grounds have been randomly
mixed. Other than possibly being confusing, I can't see what would be wrong
with it.

I looked it up in the two electrical books I have. One does not mention it!
The other refers to the "neutral/ground bus" and shows both the ground and
neutral going to the same hole. I have seen move than one wire in hole
frequently, but I thought they had to be on different circuits to discourage
losing both your ground and neutral. Hmm.