Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

Default Do driveway sealers really do anything?

Banty writes:

Like pavers and other heavy equipment being brought to the
scene? Compared to what a lot of homeowners are willing to do at the
cost of an old pair of sneakers and enduring some heavy, smelly work?

A homeowner with a bucket and broom is going to cost many times more
than a paving crew, per pound of material applied. More evidence
against the economy of "sealers".

When I last had my driveway re-paved with hot mix, it cost me $60/ton.
That's 3 cents per pound, delivered, applied, and finished. Spending
your weekend breaking your back to buy, schlep, mix, pour, and spread a
few buckets of "sealer" is thus worth less than $10 on a unit weight
basis. That doesn't pay for the first retail bucket, much less your
aching back. The homeowner and his muscles are no match for dump trucks
and screeds. Don't waste your money on sealers.

You seem to be on a campaign about this thing.

I've been through it all, including dutifully putting on "sealer" in my
younger homeowning days, because good advice was impossible to find.
Now that we have the Internet, facts are readily available, and anyone
can learn from this engineer's experience and analysis.